Updated: Oct 20, 2021
I got into Helium mining for about 3 months now since I received my Sensecap M1 miner from a limited sale when they first started out. It arrived in about 7-10 days after being shipped from China.
Nice packaging, easy to set up, just plug it in and bluetooth it in your Helium app. It takes about 48-72 hours for it to fully sync, but may be longer now with the huge growth of new miners on Helium network.
My Set Up:
I attached the antenna using an antenna mount I found most of the parts on Amazon (see links below) and attached 4 magnets to the base, which are used to attach it to the metal trim around the roofline of my house. This allows it to be taken down easily for repairs or adjustments. I ran a 30ft antenna cord from there to inside my bedroom where my miner is located. My house is located at a higher elevation area and about 5m higher than all surrounding houses with most of the city to the east at lower elevation.
I got about 600 beacons 7 day average at its best and 230 witnesses in 5 days best
Mining profit has been variable, about 1-2.5 HNT per day, 30d average was about 50 at its best
Problems I have ran into, things I have learned:
I tried a few different antennas but really the best is still the original one that came with it. When you are at a higher elevation, seems lower DBI antenna are the best for the greatest coverage. I have never tried the Rakwireless 5.8dbi which is recommended by many people.
Do not change the settings, update antenna, restart your miner too often. You want to minimize interruptions or you will become unsynced with the blockchain and lose out on rewards. As for location, it really makes a difference if you are at a higher elevation, put your antenna as high as possible, to clear all obstacles. At my other location I put it on a 10ft pole on top of the house, but its a one story house so it still doesn’t do well. I used an 8dbi antenna there since it is recommended to use a high dbi antenna on flatter terrain. It definitely won’t do well sitting in your room by the window either.
My miner went offline for 7 days once because it lost sync and I couldnt figure out how to get it sync’ed again. It was unable to resync because new blocks were forming faster than my miner could sync. Sensecap came out with a new tool called Turbo Sync. You have to access it by going to Sensecap Dashboard, add your hotspot to the list, then go to Wifi IP address or LAN IP address, click on there, find the button that says “Turbo Sync” and click that. This is used when you are behind on the block chain sync by more than 400 blocks. This fixed my Sync problem quickly and I was earning again in about 8 hours.
Overall this has been a great experience learning about Helium mining and setting up a Helium miner.
Parts used for the set up:
1. Antennas Direct ClearStream 20-inch TV Antenna Mast, 1-inch OD, All-weather Mounting Hardware, Adjustable Mast Clamp, Installation Sealing Pads, Black - CJMOUNT https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V6QZR4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_583RAM0E26VRVADTGZ9S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
2. Bingfu RP-SMA Male to RP-SMA Female Bulkhead Mount RG174 WiFi Antenna Extension Coaxial Cable 30 feet for WiFi Router Wireless Network Card USB Adapter Security IP Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084VB1YY8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FM312XRJ74X8Y4T47K63?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
3. Neosmuk Magnetic Hooks, 22 lb+ Heavy Duty Earth Magnets with Hook for Refrigerator, Extra Strong Cruise Hook for Hanging, Magnetic Hanger for Curtain, Grill (Silver White, Pack of 10) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0787Q54M1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_A5MEPR95GFYPV1QRG37Q?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
4. screws and washers from any hardware store
5. Metal hose clamps from hardware store, withstands UV better than plastic ties